We want to live in a city where the government is striving to provide the good life to their citizens. Mercer, an organization that conducts annual Quality of Living Survey, recently released their list of 2016’s Best Cities to Live In. The organization ranked according to different factors like the safety, security, health, education, housing and many more.
Mercer’s survey is actually one of the most comprehensive in the world. Mercer is doing this annually to facilitate multinational companies as well as other employers to treat employees fairly if they will be placed on international assignments. Their survey will provide valuable information and can give recommendation for cities throughout the world.
Mercer’s goal is to ensure that all needs of expatriates are met wherever work takes them is an integral part of retention and it should be one of the recruitment strategies for multinational companies. If there is a possibility of relocation, it is important that we know which cities are the best to live in.
In spite of social unrest, economic and security issues, European cities still flooded the list and continue to offer the highest quality of living. Here’s the list:
- Vienna: Vienna is the capital of Austria and it is the best city in the world to live in. Vienna is commended for its low crime levels. Actually this is not a surprise since this is the seventh year Vienna made it to the top.
- Zurich: Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland. Its economic strength is commendable which makes it the number two best city to live in.
- Auckland: Auckland is the most populous and largest of New Zealand. It is known for its harbors and high quality of life.
- Munich: Munich is the third largest city in Germany. Apart from being the number one city with high standard and quality of living in Germany, it is also the world’s fourth best city to live in. It is the centre of art, finance and advance technologies in Germany.
- Vancouver: Vancouver is the fifth best cities to live in. Its seaport is considered to be with the utmost level of personal safety.
- Dusseldorf: Dusseldorf is a city in Germany and the seventh most populous city. The city is home to 5 Fortune Global 500. It is also the sixth best city to live in.
- Frankfurt: Frankfurt is Germany’s fifth largest city. Frankfurt is actually the centre for culture, trade and education in Germany. This year, it is the seventh best cities to live in.
- Geneva: Geneva is in Switzerland. It is the number eight best city to live in. It is a financial centre and home to many multinational companies not to mention it is the headquarters of United Nations.
- Copenhagen: Copenhagen is the ninth best city to live in. It is famous for its elevated levels of gender equality.
- Australia: More than the infrastructure and attractions, Australia is the number ten best city to live in with its remarkable safety record as well as the quality of their public services.
Singapore is not far from being one of the best cities to live in. We are actually in number 26 and the highest in Asia.